19 November, 2007

rain, rain, go away...come again some other day

My wish for Scotland seems to go unheard of late. Rain has been a constant companion this weekend. When there has been a break in the intensity I’ve stolen a half hour to exercise outside. This morning it is “blowin’ like stink” (one of my favourite sailing terms)...wind & horizontal rain. I am inclined to stay cocooned inside after class, comfortably wrap myself in a blanket to prepare for this week of classes, however I also need to “fetch some messages” in town. Although it’s a non holiday week here in Scotland we in the Wisconsin in Scotland program are celebrating Thanksgiving on Thursday complete with a Celidh (Scottish dancing) in the evening. It is a sort of mixed bag of American and Scottish traditions. Similar to what would be happening in America I have company coming to celebrate. In fact many of us do. Family and friends will be here on Wednesday evening and although every bone in my body wishes we didn’t have classes on Thursday I have a full day of work before the celebration begins. There are things to be done in preparation for company. So I will need to muster the courage and brave the elements later today.

Funny...how I pride myself on adaptability and yet when the weather shifts my reluctance to go outside is nibbling away. Scots deal – this is not an excuse to be inside rather it is part of their lives. One simply has different clothing on days like this. I recall my friend Dennis saying when he and Kathleen moved to abroad, “if we stay inside when it rains we will never see Ireland”.

Another reason for my reluctance to be out in the middle of it is my need for quiet reflection. My father is undergoing cardiac procedures today and I am feeling very far away from it all. We are hopeful for positive outcomes and that he will feel better once healing has occurred. Hope is powerful...a true celebration of Thanksgiving is being planned in East Greenbush, New York.

No comments: