04 November, 2007

From Plockton to Aberdeen

One of the many benefits to my teaching assignment here in the Wisconsin in Scotland program is a Fall Break. Much like Spring break back on my home campus, it is a glorious week begging to be exploited. John and I chose to explore Scotland via rail. Loosely structured is typical of our preference for travel and a rail pass allowed us the freedom of traveling where we wanted via rail or bus. Unfortunately I was dealing with some sort of flu bug which semi-limited our activities. However we were never too far from a Boots pharmacy which proved invaluable in obtaining the right concoctions of medicine. As an aside, in my 20 years of traveling with this man, we always seem to spend time in pharmacies throughout the world. I think it’s the frustrated physician syndrome. This time our purpose was a little different than usual.

Places visited included Glasgow, Oban, Mull, Ft. William, Inverness, Plockton, Aberdeen, Dundee, and Edinburgh. Despite daily rain (in Oban gale force winds plus driving rain – Sierra Design rainwear is NOT waterproof) we managed to hike and explore all towns. We loved Inverness, a city in the Highlands, with a lovely river and islands that were fun to explore. We had the best seafood here and enjoyed the restaurants. Our B&B was expertly run and beautifully appointed for a fraction of the cost of other lodging locations.

Plockton is a lovely seaside village with a small population and the best Cullen Skink (a sort of fish potato stew) I have ever tasted. Freshly baked fruit scones with a wee bit of jam and double cream provided the fuel for our hill walking that rainy day. The only ones on the rail platform for the 5:00 pm train with strong cold winds, we sang every Christmas tune we knew. To say we were happy to see the train is an understatement. I practically hugged the conductor when we boarded.

The following day we took the train to Aberdeen, Scotland’s 3rd largest city. The culture shock of how one can be in two totally distinct places in 24 hours was remarkable. Aberdeen was moving to a perceptible beat, loads of people in this busy port city. Oil is the big name in this town and since the 1970’s the North Sea has provided a huge harvest for our petroleum appetites. We enjoyed museums, art, and a piano concert in Cowdry Hall.

Although John and I travel frequently it is often for business purposes or to spend time with our families. Time together exploring a new place was very special. When John left this morning I experienced what my colleague Rich refers to as heart sickness (as opposed to homesickness). I am reminded that my partner in life is truly my soul mate.

Above a few photos capturing vacation moments.

No comments: